Today, Dan and I are celebrating our eighth wedding anniversary! However, today is an unusual anniversary. Not only are we still under somewhat of a quarantine restriction, I am also recovering from my tonsillectomy which was a few days ago. So, there is nothing fun for us planned today. Instead, I’m in the playroom (as that’s where our only recliner is) and he’s across the hall in the dining room working.
And, actually, this morning, I kind of forgot it was our anniversary until I saw our wedding pictures pop up on Facebook. Since I can’t talk, I rang my bell and Dan came to the playroom. I motioned for him to hold out his hand, and I pantomimed me putting his wedding band on.
At that moment, we had to chuckle because today our anniversary is the prime example of “for better, for worse” and “in sickness and in health.” I’ve got my bell and a whiteboard, and he comes with my smoothies, refills my water, and administers my medicine. And while this isn’t the most glorious of anniversaries, I wouldn’t want to spend the day with anyone else but Dan.
A Walk Down Memory Lane
Here are eight fun facts about our wedding.
- The first time I went wedding dress shopping with my friends, I was completely unimpressed. The first wedding dress I walked out in, my friends “aww”d and I gave them a look that said, “NOPE!” I felt like a giant marshmallow. It was not cute, y’all! The next time, my mom and I went on a whim to a different bridal store in town. The owner gave me a few to try on, and that time when I walked out in a wedding dress, the owner said I looked shocked. It was probably because I had a bad experience at the first bridal shop.
- We couldn’t agree on the cake. Dan wanted a traditional white cake for the wedding cake and I wanted red velvet. We compromised and settled on a marble cake. We joke and say it’s because he’s Caucasian and I’m Asian, therefore the marble cake was us.
- I also had a hard time choosing bridesmaids dresses. I knew the style I wanted in my head, but I couldn’t find it anywhere… until I did find it. But it was PRICY– at least I thought it was. I kept going back and forth on it because while I did love it, I didn’t want my friends spending a ton of money on a dress they’d wear once. My bridesmaids were the BEST though and convinced me to pick the dress.
- We chose two songs for our wedding– Household of Faith by Steve Green and Faithfully (wedding version) by Eric and Leslie Ludy. During that time, I worked at a music recording studio and my boss was a professional singer. I asked her to sing Faithfully and the first time I heard her sing it in the studio, I almost cried.
- Since I don’t have sisters, I asked my best friend since the 7th grade to be my Maid of Honor. We also share a birthday.
- We had a candy bar at our wedding! I think I got the idea from Pinterest. It was a huge hit and by the time we walked by, all the candy was gone.
- We had a Bible bearer at our wedding in addition to our ring bearer. It’s a Filipino thing. If I could do one thing over, I would have incorporated more Filipino traditions into our wedding.
- We went to Orlando on our honeymoon and one of the highlights was going to Discovery Cove to swim with the dolphins. Also, the food at Discovery Cove was AMAZING.