Friends, Hallmarkies, and POstables! We interrupt the June Wedding Recap with a special blog post discussing all things #POstables in honor of Norman and Rita’s upcoming wedding! Tune in to Signed, Sealed, Delivered: To the Altar on Sunday, July 15 9/8 CST.
PS: This post contains affiliate links. Please see Disclosure for details.
A few years ago, my cousin told me about the tv series/movie series, Signed, Sealed, Delivered. At the time, I was just starting to get into the whole Hallmark fandom and I didn’t think anything else of it. Maybe it’s because I was thinking that I wanted to watch the tv series first before jumping into the movies. Then, a couple of months ago, a friend on Twitter posted about Signed, Sealed, Delivered. I responded and said:
I seriously need to jump on the SSD wagon… haven’t seen any of them but I’ve heard they’re so good! — Kaycee (@hallmarkmywords)
And then it happened. I started getting bombarded with all these tweets and messages about how I needed to jump on the bandwagon and how amazing the series is. I think the next morning, I had 30 tweets waiting for me to read. (That never happens to me, by the way). I decided to make it a goal to watch the series this summer. That was on a Monday. By Friday, I posted this:
#POstables I’m jumping in. S1E1 Signed Sealed Delivered, here I come! 😁 How fast do y’all think I can binge watch this series? 🤣 #Hallmarkies @hallmarkchannel pic.twitter.com/DZIxFbtvh5— Kaycee (@hallmarkmywords)
And how long did it take me to watch the first season of Signed, Sealed, Delivered?
THREE nights. Yup. I was so sleep deprived, but deliriously on a POstable high.
And, friends, EVERYONE was RIGHT! I loved it! I absolutely loved the tv series. And then, I started watching the movie series and man! Each one kept getting better and better! (You can tell how much I love Signed, Sealed, Delivered based on the fact that I used three exclamation marks in one paragraph.)
What is Signed, Sealed, Delivered all about?
In a nutshell, Signed, Sealed, Delivered is about four postal system employees who, in an oddly Divine way, become postal detectives.
Shane (Kristin Booth), Oliver (Eric Mabuis), Rita (Crystal Lowe) and Norman (Geoff Gustafson) work in the Dead Letter Office of the postal system. Their jobs are to figure out whom the letters belong to and send them off on their merry way. Simple, right? Not exactly. Some letters are anonymously written. Some have illegible envelopes. Most letters only have first names mentioned. But each letter finds its way back to the proper recipient. The journey is different for each letter. For some, the letter reunites families. For others, it restores relationships and brings hope for a new beginning. Enter all the feels and all the warm and fuzzies. And the tears. Oh man, the tears– happy, sad, joyful, all the tears! You just have to, have to, have to watch Signed, Sealed, Delivered! Here are 25 Reasons Why You Need to Watch Signed, Sealed, Delivered:
In no particular order…
- The cast is incredible. Whoever did the casting was SPOT ON. Kristin Booth, Eric Mabius, Crystal Lowe, and Geoff Gustafson are casting #goals. I cannot imagine anyone else in the roles of Shane, Oliver, Rita, and Norman.
- The writing is fantastic. Martha Williamson, the creator of Signed, Sealed, Delivered, is an ahhhhmazing writer! Which, of course, she is because she was also the producer for the Emmy-nominated series Touched by an Angel. Whaaaat! Once I made that connection, I was like, “but OF COURSE! This is why this show is amazing!”
- The stories about the letter are unique and interesting. Again, this goes back to the amazing writing. I am always left with wanting more! And the movies just get better and better. Higher Ground was absolutely EPIC. I’m pretty sure To the Altar is going to SUPER EPIC.
Side Note: Am I the only one who wonders if I have anything waiting for me at the Dead Letter Office? I’m just saying, when I was little, my aunt swears she sent me a package for my birthday and I never received it… For real, I need an in-real-life Shane, Oliver, Rita, and Norman to figure out what happened to this! 😉
- No character is one-dimensional. I appreciate the depth Martha gives each character and we are still peeling back those layers. No character is shallow or surface and the characters grow in their own way.
- Signed, Sealed, Delivered is a family show. You can watch this with your whole family. And everyone would probably enjoy it! I mean, my husband enjoyed watching Signed, Sealed, Delivered— that is after I convinced him to watch it with me. He’s a huge critic, but even he said the plot and storylines are unique AND he watched the entire first season with me. My two-year-old even knows the original theme song and will sing it when she hears it. We love Signed, Sealed, Delivered!
- Signed, Sealed, Delivered is very patriotic. Ohmygoodness! I didn’t expect there to be such strong military stories to come out of this series! They are not afraid to tackle issues like PTSD and politics. And, man, I cry so much during these storylines– especially the homecomings.
- Signed, Sealed, Delivered showcases faith without being overly preachy. The themes of faith are so tastefully done! I love how faith is shown as a part of life. I feel like everyone can appreciate the elements of faith that really are universal themes. We see redemption, forgiveness, faith, love, and so much more. I think this is what gives the show depth and not just surface-level storylines.
- Norman’s backstory about being a foster child tugged at my heart at moments. Norman is just a gentle character, so the thought of him being alone and feeling unloved is just so sad! But he hasn’t let that deter him from love. And I loved watching him grow as a character.
- Oliver’s quirky obsession with Yoohoo is hysterical because it is just so random! But I giggled when he pulled the Yoohoo out the first time because I was taken back to my childhood when YooHoo was the thing to drink. I think the last time I had a YooHoo was in 1997.
- The dancing is swoon-worthy. I’m pretty sure everytime Shane and Oliver dance, I stop breathing.
- The relationship between Oliver and his dad, Joe, shows that redemption is still possible even after years of hurt. I won’t spoil it, but this storyline gripped my soul, plus the parallel that was made at the church scene in “Truth Be Told” had me sobbing the first time I watched it.
- Ramon and Hazel are the best random piece of comic relief in this series! We need Ramon in our lives! And Hazel is the perfect amount of nosy, funny, and quirky.
- The guest stars have been legendary… I mean, they have had Carol Burnett, Della Reese, and Keb Mo on the show!
- Norman and Rita’s relationship is super innocent and pure and “totes adorbs” all around. Rita’s “Hi, Norman” at the very beginning had me giggling like a crazy school girl. Watching such a pure and innocent romance is refreshing. It’s such a rare gem to watch on not only tv but also in real life.
- Rita and Shane’s outfits are Pinterest worthy. And I need Shane’s outfits for work. Help a sister out?!
- Speaking of Rita and Shane, Crystal Lowe and Kristin Booth’s friendship is #goals. I just listened to their interview with Jacks and Shawl on the Bubbly Sesh and they are so much fun! I love their dynamic! #DivineDeliveryFriendship
- The music chosen for this show is spectacular and gives the show the perfect touch for each movie and episode. Also, Chandel at Alameda and Downing has put together a great resource for all the music from the episodes! Here’s a post with a few SSD orchestral Sound Cloud tracks to get you started, but if you just type “music” in the search bar, all posts with music will pop up! Plus, check her blog out for all things, Signed, Sealed, Delivered!
- This scene in Lost Without You. Gave me ALL the feels. I mean, the vulnerability and Shane and Oliver’s growth– as individuals and as a couple, had me sooooobbing. (Yes. I cry A LOT watching this show. But it’s all good tears, I promise!) Billy Joel’s song “And So It Goes” in this scene is absolute perfection for these two characters. Also, mini spoiler, but, there are two lines that are delivered in this scene that are so simple, yet are so incredibly powerful.
Shane: “You would be surprised what I’m starting to believe.”
Oliver: “Thank you for saving my life.”
Out of context, it sounds super basic. In context, it is EVERYTHING. You have to watch the series to understand this. But trust me when I say this scene is so pivotal. While there are so many amazing moments in Signed, Sealed, Delivered, this scene is probably my all-time favorite scene in Hallmark history. OH! If you are new to SSD, do NOT skip ahead! You have to watch the entire series for reason #18 to make sense!
- The conversations between characters are deep and you really have to listen to catch everything. I have watched different scenes multiple times and have caught something that I missed the first or second time watching. Again, the writing is fantastic!
- Watching Signed, Sealed, Delivered sometimes includes playing Hallmark actor BINGO! It’s always fun seeing familiar faces on the show! There’s Gregory Harrison (Chesapeake Shores), Spencer Drever (When Calls the Heart), Andrea Brooks (When Calls the Heart), Marilu Henner (Aurora Teagarden), Emilie Ullerup (Chesapeake Shores), and many more I’m sure! Also, it took me a good while to realize that Dale was Emilie Ullerup from Chesapeake Shores! The hair really threw me for a loop!
- Shane and Oliver’s relationship. ‘Nuff said.
- Okay, let’s expound on Shane and Oliver’s relationship. The dancing. The porch swing. The yellow roses. The homemade card with the heart– which by the way, I just want to know how many hearts Oliver cut. The almost hand-hold. The buying of Shane’s childhood home. The “When has “what I want” stopped you before” hug in the DLO. The sandwich date on the steps. The first kiss, in the rain, on the steps that we never got to see. The second kiss, in the DLO, that was probably the best “first” kiss in Hallmark channel history. #swooooon
- The #POstables community is very welcoming. When I tweeted out about possibly watching Signed, Sealed, Delivered, the #POstables started coming out of the woodwork! Everyone has been super nice and kind in the Twitterverse. Plus, they are all so helpful! I would have never known about a few reruns that aired had it not been for them! They are the nicest fandom!
- The cast will interact with the #POstables on Twitter. It is so cool and super fun when they live tweet along with the fans!
- You will feel ALL the feels! I have never watched a series that has made me laugh, cry, and feel all the feels as much as Signed, Sealed, Delivered. Trust me. Trust the #POstables. But if you haven’t watched this series, you totally need to. Right now!
[ctt template=”7″ link=”TVU91″ via=”no” nofollow=”yes”]#Hallmarkies! If you aren’t watching #SignedSealedDelivered, here are 25 reasons why you should! #POstables[/ctt]
If you’ve made it this far, YAY! Just as the #POstables have helped me out, I’m going to help you new #POstables out! I’ve put together a list of where you can find the Signed, Sealed, Delivered series. (Contains Affiliate Links)
I believe these are all in DVD format, but I’m fairly certain there are streaming options as well!
Unfortunately, the three latest movies haven’t been released on DVD or streaming (at least to my knowledge)
The Road Less Travelled
So there you have it! 25 reasons why you NEED to watch Signed, Sealed, Delivered! I just lovelovelove this show so much! Let me know if you start watching and let me know what you think. Better yet, join the POstables on Twitter and make sure to tag #POstables in your tweets! We’ll be sure to give you a warm welcome and a follow. 🙂 And to all my #POstables friends, see you on Sunday for the #NoRita wedding! *happy dance*